Quadpack adds sustainable fragrance caps made of cork to its QLine portfolio!
The cork oak tree is a real wonder of nature. It is the only tree in the world that can have its bark stripped off without being harmed – the bark regenerates itself to protect the trunk, in a photosynthesis process that absorbs up to five times more CO2 than non-harvested trees. Native to the Western Mediterranean basin, it has been used for centuries as a primary source of wine bottle stoppers, and it has a significant role as both a habitat for many animal species and an employment provider to many traditional cork workers.
Its fantastic regenerating and eco-friendly properties have inspired international beauty packaging manufacturer and provider Quadpack to develop a cork range for its QLine portfolio, using a by-product of the wine stoppers industry as a raw material. The innovative range of fragrance caps brings out the best of cork’s properties for beauty brands:
- Hypoallergenic action: Cork does not absorb dust, helping to protect against allergies and respiratory diseases.
- Waterproofing: The suberin and ceroids contained in the cell walls protect the cork against moisture and allow it to age without deteriorating.
- Insulation: Cork has low conductivity to heat, noise and vibration, thanks to the gaseous components contained in cork that are enclosed in small impermeable compartments, shaped like a honeycomb.
- Elasticity: Cork adapts to variations in temperature and pressure without compromising its integrity.
- Natural touch: Softness and flexibility combine with a naturally uneven surface.
- Lightness: Over 50 per cent of its volume is air. Cork weighs just 0.16 grams per cm3 and can float.
The new caps are agglomerated with approximately 10 per cent food-grade polyurethane (PU) to ensure the right machining of the material. With five options in different shapes and sizes, they are all monomaterial, recycled and recyclable.
“Cork is a completely sustainable product as every bit is used and nothing gets wasted. The launch represents a big step forward in Quadpack’s commitment to the circularity of its products, from source to end of life,” says Isabelle de Maistre, Quadpack’s Head of Product Communications.
Besides the QLine cork collection, Quadpack also develops bespoke projects in cork.
For more information go to www.quadpack.com.